Thursday, April 17, 2014

Last week, I was driving old highway 66 and turned off at Luther to go to my daughter's house.  All the way to my turn at Britton road, the highway was lined with redbud trees in full bloom.  There were hundreds and hundreds of them covered in flowers.  They looked like strawberry ice cream cones.   I just marveled at the beauty of them.

Later, my daughter and I walked the horses down to a wooded, hilly, overgrown part of her farm.  We climbed down gullies and ravines until we arrived at a spot where some of the trees were fallen and many were rotting.  Morel mushrooms love that kind of environment.  I had never seen a morel mushroom before except in a book.  There they were. dozens and dozens of them popping out of the ground.  But they weren't ready to pick.  They have to spawn first so there will be more of them next year.  Now I can't wait to taste one.  My daughter is going to pick them Saturday and bring me some.

I am a gardner.  Not a very good one, but I keep trying.  I just love to put a seed in the ground and watch as it comes to life.   I had already planted tomatoes, lettuce and parsley.  Then night before last, the temperature dropped to 29 degrees and froze it all.  So I planted it all again yesterday.  I will get to see everything pop out of the ground twice this year.

Life.  In the end, that's what we want.  Eternal life with God.  What a wonderful thing it is to have the promise from God that he is going to give it to us--if we are his children.

Romans 8:14-17a  "For as many as a led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. You have not received the spirit of bondage (sin) again that causes you to fear; but you have received the Spirit of adoption,  whereby we cry, Abba, Father.   The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ."

How do you get it?  John 3: 16  "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son.  That whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment