Tuesday, April 15, 2014

With Easter coming up, I've been talking about the results of Easter.  That is, Christ living within us.  When that happens, you get Godliness.  I'm sure you have all known Godly men and women.  I was so blessed to have Godly parents.

My dad was a deacon, and the deacons had been challenged by the pastor to have daily devotions with their families. He tried.  First at supper. But with all the activities that my brother and I were involved in, he could never get us together at the same time.  But he kept at it.  Early in the morning.  Right after he got home from work.  There just wasn't a good time.

After weeks of trying, he gave up on getting us together in the same place at the same time.  So, each evening when everyone was doing homework, getting ready for bed or whatever, he would pick up his Bible and start reading out loud, wandering from room to room.  His voice would fade in and fade out as he walked around the house with the Bible in his hands.

I don't know that I got much out of the words that he spoke, but I will never lose the memory of my father, with the Bible in his hands, wandering through the house reading to us.  What an example of a man who was faithful.

Proverbs 20:7  "The just man walks in his integrity:  His children are blessed after him."

Deuteronomy 6: 6a-7 "…and these words…you shall diligently teach to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when  you lie down, and when you rise up."

The secret is to keep trying.  Don't give up.  Your children will be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment