Friday, April 4, 2014

Our lives wound down.  We bought a house, a first for us.  Ken drew a circle with a radius of sixty miles around Pryor (as an acceptable commute) and got a job as an instructor at NEO College teaching Sociology.

"Why Sociology?" I asked.  "I'm just curious, why not something to do with airplanes? Why didn't you take the job United Airlines offered?"

"If I wanted to drive a bus taking people from point A to point B, I would have done it on the ground where there is something to see," he answered.  "Flat and level is not the kind of flying I am interested in.  I want supersonic that you can roll and summersault and chase clouds.  And I've been there and done that.   There's no way you can afford to fly like that unless you are in the military.  So, I am going to do something different."

And he did.  For twenty-eight years he changed lives.  Twice elected by the campus students as the outstanding teacher.  He would walk into the classroom and say, "I believe there are only two approaches to teaching interaction between human beings (sociology).  You believe that there is a God, which affects everything else.  Or, you believe that there is no God which does the same."

"I need for you to know that I definitely believe that there is a God and whether I mention his name or not,  it will directly affect everything I say this semester.  I am a Christian. You have a right to know where I am coming from.  If that bothers you, you probably need to find another class because I am not going to change that opinion.  There is a God."

Exodus 20: 1-3,  "And God spoke all these words, saying, I am the Lord your God, Who brought you out to the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.  You shall have no other gods before me."

 Matthew 10:32 "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven."   Those are the words of Jesus.  Ken was always bold when it came to telling others that truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment