Monday, June 9, 2014

I am so thankful that God invented color.  Because I love yard work, I have planned my flower beds so that in March (which in Oklahoma is still very cold) my flowers begin to pop up and something is always blooming from then on until October.  The blue hyacinths are first, then the lavender and pink creeping phlox, followed by the peonies.  The pink azaleas bloom,  followed by the red ones.  And then the lilies.  Burgundy, peach, yellow then orange.  Along with purple astilbe and purple iris.

Now that it is June, the late azaleas are blooming and the short lilies are in full swing.  And there are buds popping out on the day lilies.  The phlox is shooting up long stems for next month.  And the crepe myrtles are starting to leaf out.  They will bloom in August.  Then there are the chrysanthemums.

I love it.  It is God's way of reassuring me that after a long and sad winter of grief, that He is still in the business of creation and that He wants me to be joyful.  My flowers bring me joy.

When my children were growing up, I made a rule (which they sometimes kept) that every time you came in the door of the house, that you had to pull five weeds.  No more.  Just five.  It kept everything under control.  And nobody ever had to work very hard at it.

Sin is like weeds.  If you keep pulling the sin out of your life, it never gets a foothold.  But like weeds, if left unattended, it will take over your garden and your life.  And ruin you.  God doesn't make rules to make us miserable.  They are there so that we may live with peace and joy.  He knows what will make us happy in the long run.  It has taken ten years to get my flower beds in the order that I want.  It didn't happen overnight.  I am so glad that I stuck with it and kept pulling out weeds.

Matthew 6:28 (My version) "Why do you worry about what you are going to wear?  Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they do not work at it, neither do they spin cloth."  And they are all such pretty colors!!!

Isn't God good.


No comments:

Post a Comment