Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Old Testament was written (most probably) over 2500 years ago for a culture that is completely different than the culture you and I live in.  Men owned everything.  Women didn't inherit property and were totally dependent on men.  If you were a widow, your life was especially difficult.  This is all still true some places in the middle east.  Women are not valued.  Many do not have a voice.

Paul said:  "For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus….There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond (slave) nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Jesus Christ."  Galations 3: 26, 28  He frees us from stereotypes.

Paul was making it clear that women have equal status as Christians.  This idea was anathema to the Jews.  And some modern day churches have not gotten the message.  But that's okay.  My gift as a teacher is not dependent on the church.  It is a gift from God.  I answer to him and him alone.  The Bible is very clear on the subject of what God expects of us as individuals.   I love the church.  I love being a part of the family of God.  And I try to tolerate people who have opinions that I do not agree with.  If they haven't read God's word, you can't have a reasonable discussion on any subject.

I agree totally with the Bible on the subject of the different roles in the home.  But that doesn't mean that I have ever given that right of authority over me to other men.  They are just men to me.  As Paul said, "…we are all the same…"

Some of the controversial verses concerning women come in 1 Corinthians, chapter 7.  These verses come after Paul says in verse 12, (Living Letters) "Here I want to add some suggestions of my own…"  King James version puts it this way, "But to the rest I speak, not the Lord…"  So Paul was giving his own opinions concerning men and women, not the opinion of Jesus.   Paul had been a strict Jew.  And he never married.  He was careful to say that his opinions were his and that they weren't from the Lord.

I say all of that to say this.  Be respectful of all people.  Read your Bible for yourself.  Don't take scripture out of context.  Don't argue.  God knows who you are.  We are all the same to him.  That is all that matters.    


No comments:

Post a Comment