Monday, January 5, 2015

Did you ever have the feeling that you let someone down?  In my family, getting a college education was the expected step when you finished high school.  My grandmother had an eighth grade education and was determined that her five children would get through college.  That was in the 1920's.  Unheard of back then.  But they all worked and sent each other.  One would finish and go to work to send the next one.

So, it was expected from the next generation (mine) that they would do likewise.  As a result of those high expectations, all of my generation graduated high school, were valedictorians,  and immediately started college.  Except me.  It didn't seem like a big deal to me.  I was never under any pressure,  It was just a silent expectation.  I didn't become valedictorian.  I made a couple of B's.  But that wasn't the worst thing.  I got married and had four children in six years.  

I was really happy.  And I would do it all over again--exactly the same way.  But there was always that nagging feeling that I had let them all down.  All three generations.  So when Ken left us to go to Viet Nam, I started college.  I would get the kids off to school, and head to class.  And I planned it so that I would get home an hour before my children did--so they always had a mom at home.  It kept me busy.  When I got my grades, I showed all my A's to the family.  "We're all proud of you," they said.   And they were.  I didn't do it the easy way, but I finished the degree.  

I don't think a college degree in itself is all that important, but because of the sacrifices my grandmother made, her children did.  You can probably make more money as a plumber, or an electrician or any trade where you know how to do something useful.   I sew.

II Timothy 2:15  "Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that doesn't need to be ashamed, rightly doing the word of truth."  Study something.  Learn how to do useful things.  Become a workman of some sort or the other!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment