Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I am to the point that I don't remember what I've told you, what I have told my Bible class, what I have told the church youth, and what I have told my friends.  So if I start repeating myself, cut me some slack.  I am on blog 531.  I have limited myself to six inches a day which is 3186 inches so far.  If you have read them all, you probably know everything about me, Ken, my family, and a lot of Bible verses that have meaning to me.  The whole point of writing is to share the Bible as it relates to real life.  To my real life.  I want to have answers for people about what the Bible has to say.

"But purify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always  to give an answer to  every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." 1 Peter 3: 15

You have to study to give answers like that.  You can't hope to be ready--when you have an opportunity to share Christ with someone--if you haven't prepared.  And you never stop learning when you study God's word.  Verses that meant nothing to me as a young person are full of meaning as an adult.  That is why it is called the "Living Word".  It is always fresh and new.

People have problems.  What Peter is saying is that you have the solution.  It is always the same solution--expressed in different ways.  There is a song that says, "Jesus is the answer for the world today..."  That has been true throughout the ages.  He came to change our lives.  To give us hope.

I can think of no better resolution for this year than to start reading the Bible.  You don't have to read much.  A little will do.  If you don't understand the part you are reading, skip it.  Maybe the next time you read it you will understand it.  That has happened to me a lot of times.

Put your Bible by your bed, or chair, or in your purse or pocket.  Start with the New Testament.  Read a short book, like 1 Peter.  Or part of it.  Or just a verse or two.  The important thing is that you start.  And read a little.  And January 7 is just as good a day to start as January 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment