Thursday, January 8, 2015

Yesterday, I said that I wanted to be prepared to answer questions that people might have about the Bible. This week I got to address a question that has troubled people throughout the ages.  Someone asked me:  Was Jesus really God?  Or was he just a great man.  So I got my Bible and reviewed some scriptures that came to mind on that subject.  If I hadn't ever studied, I wouldn't have been able to find anything useful.  Study is a critical issue for a Christian.  I challenged you yesterday to start.

The problem is that even though we accept the inspiration of the Bible, it doesn't ever say these exact words in this exact order:  "Jesus is God".  But here are a few verses about what it does say.

Philippians 2:5b-6 "...Jesus, who being in the form of God made himself of no reputation..and was
made in the likeness of men."  That verse says that at one time Jesus was in the form of God and made himself into the form of a man.

In John 10: parts of 30-33 Jesus is speaking.  "I and the Father are one"  The Jews start to stone him and he asks why.  They answer: "...for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

John 14:8-9 "Phillip said, Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.  Jesus answered: Don't you know me Phillip even after I have been among you for such a long time?  Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father."

And of course there is the testimony of Thomas.  Who, having said he didn't believe Jesus was raised from the dead,  later saw Him and fell to his knees and declared:  My Lord, and my God.

Great men can't resurrect themselves from the dead.  God, in human form can.  And did.

No comments:

Post a Comment