Friday, January 30, 2015

There are many ways to help people that don't involve anything but your time.  One of my daughters recently helped a young boy, learning disabled, who was afraid of water.  His mom and dad were working on painting a house for her husband.  She offered to watch the boy every day--for weeks--and step by step, little by little, she taught him to swim.

He was a black boy, but I don't think she noticed.  His parents, who don't have very much were so thankful for the help she had given to their son.  I taught my children to be color blind.  And they are.
Jews and Samaritans.  Black and white.  Whatever.  It's all the same.  You have to offer to help and then be ready to put action to your words to anyone who has a need.

When I get moved, I am going to ask that mom and dad to help paint my new house.  I feel like I already know them.

That's how we make relationships.  By giving our time.  By giving ourselves.  I always told my children--when they were leaving the house--don't forget that your name is 'Jacks'.  What you do reflects on the entire family.  Make us proud.




No comments:

Post a Comment