Thursday, December 1, 2016

Proverbs has a quote on everything.  Whatever you need advice on--Proverbs has it.

Proverbs 11:13 "A tale bearer reveals secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit conceals the matter."  I bet you have figured out who you can trust with a confidence and who you can't.  I know I have.  And there are some people with whom I would never share anything.  Anything.  Nadda.

"Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint."  Proverbs 25:19

Once, when I was in the ninth grade, I was given the responsibly of selling a bunch of tickets for an event in our high school.  I was told to get people to help me do it, which I did.  I placed my confidence in them.  Five days later, I rounded up those people to turn in the money, and one of the girls (who had said she would help) hadn't sold a single ticket.  Why she volunteered to do it in the first place I'll never know.  But there I was--stuck, spending that last day running around Pryor selling her tickets  I never forgot that lesson.  And I never put any confidence in her again.  And here I am, 60 years later, still remembering how that felt.  Like a broken tooth.  Or a foot out of joint.

I always liked this Proverb:  "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."  Proverbs 25:11  Ken's mother had the gift of saying exactly the right thing at the right time.  She didn't say much, but when she did, you listened.  "Oh my," she once told me. "Don't pray for patience.  Because when you do, all you get is more tribulation."

She told me to read James 1:3 which I did.  "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith develops patience."  She was right.  Patience always comes from enduring a difficult situation.  You really don't need it any other time.  By praying for patience, I was asking for more difficulty.  What I needed to do was ask God for the ability to endure the problems that came my way.

Which I learned to do.  Endure.  Now, I know that things are going to happen in my life that I don't like.   I just have to wait it out, and trust God to give me the strength to do just that.                                              




No comments:

Post a Comment