Monday, March 20, 2017

And while I am talking about reading the Bible, let me say that there is not a right or wrong way to do it.  I keep a little book--some would call it a devotional book--on my kitchen counter.  It is dated for each day of the year, but it only has scriptures--no discussion or explanation.  On a subject.  Faith, Love,  Fear...etc.   It's short--my attention span is short as well.

I don't do devotions very well.  Some people find them inspiring.  Whatever you like, that's what you should do.  Some people want to start at the front of the Bible and read through from Genesis to Revelation--a portion at a time.  There are guides to doing that.  It is a very good plan.  But I always get bogged down in Numbers.  Like I said, my attention span is short.

Some people like to have a guide that goes through the Bible by subject.  That's a good plan as well.
But even though my "kitchen book" is by date and by subject, some days I don't read it.  I forget.  Or I go to Bible Study and read something there.  I would call myself a "spastic reader."  It works for me.  However, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.  Most people need a pattern, a disciplined method of reading, or they will "forget" it and forgetting becomes their habit.  Not good.  Most people need a "time" to do their Bible reading.  That's probably best.  A routine.

Like I said, there is no right or wrong way to do it.  Just do it.  Find a way that works for you and stick with it.  That's the key to reading.  Stick to it.  Make a habit.  Since I teach, I find myself reading passages that relate to the subject of the lesson I am preparing.  But inevitably, I find something I didn't know and start chasing rabbits.  And when I can't find what I want to know, I call Carolyn.  She's my backup theologian.  GC.  Google Carolyn.  She is an English, Drama major.  Taught for a zillion years, and a brilliant researcher.  She's my Biblical ace in the hole.

Everyone needs one.  When she and I get to talking about something in the Bible, we sometimes disagree.  Which is fabulous.  It makes me want to read more.  "As iron sharpens iron, so a person sharpens the countenance of his friend."  Proverbs 27:17  There is nothing better than having a Christian friend you can talk to.  Someone asked Carolyn what she and I talk about.  She said, "I have no idea."  That's the truth.  We talk about a zillion things.  Mostly nothing.  Sometimes, something.





No comments:

Post a Comment