Tuesday, March 14, 2017

As long as I am on the subject of growing older, let me say that I've had to give up on perfection.  I have to hire so many things done, that I have had to accept that nobody is going to do what I want them to do the way I want them to do it.

So, for instance, instead of telling John--my gardner--to move a rock (he had just placed in the wrong place by the Koi pool) to the right or left a little bit, I have learned to say something like, "Do you think that rock needs to be moved over to the right a little?  Or do you like it where it is?  What do you think?"  Then sometimes he will humor me a bit without me having to say, "Move it."  Sometimes I have to accept where he has put it.   And live with it.  He is an exceptional worker--and I don't want to discourage him with my nit-picking.  However........

I'm a perfectionist.  After the cleaning ladies leave, I have to go around straightening pictures, moving do-dads back where they go, repositioning the dining room chairs so that they are lined up five inches from the edge of the table, etc., etc.  If you are OCD like me, you might as well give up on other people seeing what you are seeing.  You might as well accept that you are going to be straightening pictures, do-dads and so forth, for the rest of your life.

I guess I could just give up on it all.  But it's not in my nature.  I like to walk into a room and have everything in place.  Just so.  If something is out of order it is the first thing I see.  And I will be bugged until I fix it.  My chandelier wasn't exactly centered over the new dining room table--so I called Tony (who does all kinds of handiwork) to come move it 13 inches to the right.  Now, it all looks like it should, and I am happy.  On to the next project.

I've got one area that is a mess.  It is around my recliner.  Everything I need is within arm's reach.  Pens, stamps, fingernail clippers, tea cup, bills, envelopes, stapler, shredder, etc.   And I can clean it up in three minutes if company comes.  Which I seldom do.

My sister Lisa needs to come to see me again.  I've got things that I still need for her to hang on the wall.  She is the only one in the family who has the patience to deal with my obsessions.  Except for God.



No comments:

Post a Comment