Friday, March 10, 2017

Ann (my cousin who lives in Edmond--that I grew up with in Pryor.) has been asking me to make a chicken pot pie.  I had done one a year ago and she kept raving about it, so I fixed one today.  Problem is, the reason it is so good is you bake the chicken uncovered until the skin is brown and crunchy.  And of course, it splatters all over the oven and smokes up the house.  And when you get through, the oven is a total disaster.

Then you bone the chicken, set it aside, and take the crunchy skin, fat, and bones and boil them until the broth is golden brown.  Store bought broth just doesn't cut it.  The flavor is in the crunchy skin.

But all that messy smoke from the oven permeates the house.  Ugh.  I don't think I will ever make another pot pie from scratch.  What a mess.  But, mmmmm.....it is delicious.  I've tried every store bought brand of chicken pot pie that is out there and can't even find a close second.

I seldom cook any more unless I invite people over to eat.  It's hard to cook for one person.  No, it's almost impossible to cook for one person.  And it's no fun to eat alone.

Living in America is such a blessing.  We can go to the grocery store and buy anything we want.  In season, or out of season.  We have a refrigerator.  A stove.  A microwave.  A dishwasher.  An oven.  Hot water.  Things are so easy that we forget to give thanks for all of these conveniences--that most of the world doesn't have.

One thing that I can cook for one person is lamb chops.  Another is Ahi tuna steak--which I love--topped with toasted sesame seeds browned in butter.  We have a specialty store in Edmond that will let you buy small portions of meat.  How blessed we are to have such choices.

"Give us this day our daily bread...."   And all the stuff that goes with it.  God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment