Monday, April 17, 2017

I heard the most awesome prayer a week or so ago that I have ever heard in my life.  I have a man who sometimes works for me.  He is 60 years old, and has a very rough background.  He scrapes by on odd jobs--but he is a really hard worker.  One day last year when he had finished working outside, I told him to come in and eat lunch with me.  He told me he couldn't because he had mud on his boots.  I told him to take them off, and come into the kitchen in his socks.  He did.  He was really hungry, and I discovered that he hadn't even had breakfast, and it was noon.

He sat down and filled his fork, and was ready to put it in his mouth when I spoke his name and said, "Let me bless our dinner."  He put his fork down and bowed his head--uncomfortable I am sure.   I asked God to give him the strength to keep working so that he could make a living.  I prayed for his health as well, thanked God for our food and sat down at the table and ate with him.

This went on all summer.  He would leave his boots on the back porch, come into the kitchen in his socks.  I would bless our food and we would eat.  When there was food left over, I would pack it up for him to take home.  I tried to cook enough so that there were leftovers for him.

So when I called him last month and asked him if he wanted to come work for me again this year, he came.  And at lunchtime, he left his boots on the back porch, came into the house in his socks, sat down and automatically bowed his head for me to pray.  But this time, when I said, "Amen," he looked up toward heaven and said:  "Me, too."

I have never heard a prayer so full of meaning in my entire life.  "Me, too."  What more could he have said.  But most importantly, he spoke to God.  That's what prayer is.  I am already using his prayer myself after someone in the church prays.  I say a silent "Me, too," to God.

You don't have to hit people over the head with a Bible to let them see that God lives in your life and that it is real.  And that doesn't happen in one day.  It takes time.  You have to be willing to give it.  You have to stay with it for the long run.  I can't wait to hear what his next prayer will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment