Tuesday, April 25, 2017

My friend Carolyn's son (Paul) bought me a ticket to hear the Gaither's choir in Tulsa a couple of years ago.  I love listening to harmony, and of course they have trios and quartets that sing with them quite often.  Everyone says it is "old-folks" music.  Maybe so, but I bet that's what they are going to be singing in heaven.  And when you step through the pearly gates, they are going to hand you a hymnal.  So you better figure out how to sing harmony.

Churches have moved away from harmony in the last few years.  And they have also moved away from songs that have a "story" message--in favor of songs that praise God.  Not that there is anything wrong with praising God!!...but most of the songs repeat the same phrase over and over again.  And have monotone melodies.  Young people seem to like it, but in every church I have been in, when one of the "new" songs are sung, they are sung almost entirely by the choir and music director.  Most of the people stop singing--but listening is good

Maybe it is what young people like--and we old timers will have to be gracious about it.  I'm sure God doesn't care what kind of music we sing.  The Bible says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord..."

I sang in a trio when I was in high school.  We loved the McGuires and copied them.  I guess we were okay for copy-cats; we ended up singing all over Oklahoma.  Our claim to fame was singing backup (once) for Ernest Tubbs--who was the Garth Brooks of those days.  And then when I graduated, I never sang in a choir again.  I played the piano for choirs.  Until this year.  I am really enjoying singing in the choir again, and the director has me play the marimba when we travel to places to sing.

I have a friend who doesn't like to hear the drums in church.  And my next door neighbors don't use any instruments in their church at all.  I like the orchestra.  Others don't.  I like Harmony.  Others don't.  I wonder what the music in heaven will be like.

One thing I think everyone down here on earth seem to agree on is that you need to gather yourselves together with other Christians.   And make some kind of musical noise.


No comments:

Post a Comment