Friday, April 14, 2017

I went to the movie last night and saw "The Zookeeper's Wife."  It is difficult to watch the invasion of Poland, the annihilation of the Jews in Warsaw, the burning of the ghetto, and loading of men, women and children into boxcars.  But I felt that I needed to see it, in light of the current propaganda saying that it never happened.  It happened.  I would say, "Go see it."  We need to remember and never forget.  Those who forget history, they say, are doomed to repeat it.

But in the middle of it all, there were people who risked their lives to help some Jews hide or escape.  I couldn't help but examine myself and wonder if I would have been brave enough to risk my life in those circumstances.  I hope I would have.  I hope I would have tried--but it would have meant almost certain death.

But just as some would deny the Holocaust, there are those who deny the resurrection of Jesus Christ. History is what is printed in books and letters by those that experienced it.  And the accumulation of their stories--that say the same thing in different ways, in their own words--is a solid validation of those events.  Many people saying the same thing about the same event is what makes "history."  We choose to believe it, or deny it--in the face of undeniable odds.  The Holocaust.  The Resurrection of Jesus.

Josephus, a historian around the time of Christ, wrote about Jesus.  Matthew.  John.   Peter.  Mark.  Paul.  James.  Luke.  Thomas.  Jude...and others told us about Him and his resurrection.  As well as others who told their stories to someone else--and they wrote it down.  You can't possibly have dozens of people having the same hallucination of a non-event.  Jesus died--Roman soldiers saw to that, and verified it by stabbing his side.  He was buried and the tomb was guarded by Roman soldiers--like Marines, they don't sleep on the job.  There were a number of them guarding the tomb, not just one.  Their lives were on the line.  They would have been killed if Jesus' body vanished.

He arose from the dead.  Over 500 people saw Him.  That is a historical event.  That is a fact.  He lives.  He conquered death.  And someday, I will be where He is.  Forever.  And it is free.  Paid for in blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment