Friday, April 7, 2017

Squig was sick during the night.  Every hour to an hour and a half, he had to go outside.  He had been throwing up all afternoon, so I am sure he ate something he shouldn't have eaten.  What it was, I have no idea, but he was one sick puppy.  He had never been sick before, so I wasn't for sure what was going on.  What if it wasn't something he ate?  What if it was something worse?

I felt so sorry for him.  He couldn't tell me what was wrong.  It was like having a baby all over again.  They cry, you feed them thinking they are hungry, but that's not what they want.  They keep crying and you try everything you can think of to do.  And sometimes, nothing helps.  You wait, and there is a fine balance between "How long do I wait to see if they get over it," and "Do I take them to the doctor now."

It takes you a couple of kids before you figure out the answer to those kind of questions.  By the time I had five of them, I pretty well had it down.  But a dog is another kettle of fish.  I've never been on my own with a dog before.  Ken was the dog person.  But Squig, he's not just a dog.  He is my constant companion now that Ken is gone.

I decided that if he wasn't better in the morning, we were going to the vet.  But in the morning, by the time the vet was open, Squig was coming out of it, so I waited...and he got better as the day went on.  But he is worn out.  So am I.  Neither one of us got any sleep.  I finally went to sleep at four in the morning, and my grandson called me at five thirty.  So much for trying to sleep.  He wanted to know what happened to our friend Beaux, if they had found out who killed him.  I told him that they arrested someone today.  A career criminal of course.  A man with a long list of offenses who shouldn't have been on the street.   So sad.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.  Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."  Matthew 6:34  In other words, "One day's troubles are enough for that day.  Don't worry about what is going to happen tomorrow."  There have certainly been enough troubles this week.  You never know what tomorrow will bring--but God does.  He will be there with us through all of our difficulties.




No comments:

Post a Comment