Monday, April 3, 2017

Got up on Sunday around five, reached down beside the bed for my robe and fuzzy house shoes that Becky bought me in Krakow last month, and flipped on the light switch.  No light.  Checked the thermostat.  No heat.  Found my flashlight and stumbled into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and console myself and of course, my instant hot water tap wasn't hot.  No use in putting a kettle on the stove--my stove is electric.  No tea. 

I finally found matches and candles and lit a few of them, and went out and got the paper.  I don't know what I was thinking, I couldn't read it.  No lamp light.  Frustration.  We are a dependent nation. I personally can't function without water, electricity and gasoline.  Neither can my any of my city friends.  If a terrorist wanted to knock us out, all they would have to do would be to hit a power grid.

I used to visit my grandparents on their farm.  They had a Jersey cow for milk, butter, cheese.  Chickens for eggs and meat.  Pork hanging in the smoke house.  A water well and kerosene lamps.  Gran canned every summer and the cellar was full of everything you could eat for the next year.

But we don't do that anymore.  We get our food in cans, or put it in a refrigerator.  And we are pretty helpless when we lose our water, our gasoline or our electricity.  God has been so good to us that we take it all for granted.

We had our garage sale on Saturday to help a village in Africa build a water well.  But even when they get the well, everybody will have to go tote water back to their home.  America has been blessed by God.  We are spoiled.

The electricity finally came back on.   It had been off for six hours.  I missed church at 9:30.  But made it to teach at 11:00.   I'd get some kerosene lamps, but I'd probably set the house on fire.  I had a big enough problem lighting candles in the dark.

Christ is our light.  We won't have to worry about electricity in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment