Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Actually, asking this "question" I asked last Sunday took more time than I thought it would.  Everyone wanted to talk about this subject--the frustrations of getting old.  So we did.  One after another they chimed in.

"I'm frustrated that I can't do the things that I used to enjoy doing so much," the third woman said.  Part of it is because I get tired quicker.  Part of it is that I can't physically do what I used to do.  And part of it is because my kids don't want me to.  They are afraid I'll get hurt.  Or get lost.  Or break down on the road.  Or someone will rob me."

"They say things like, 'Wait until one of us can go with you.'  But they are busy.  And finding a time to do something when they can do it never seems to happen."

I had to agree with her.  I have been trying to find a time to go see Ken's sister when one of my kids could go with me--because they don't want me to go alone.  But they are all so busy.  It's only four hours away.  I could drive it.  It wouldn't be a problem for me, but they worry.  And if something should go wrong on the road, I'd never hear the end of it, so I keep hesitating.  And even if they would take me, I would feel like I am imposing on their time.  I liked it much better when I just did what I wanted to do.  I didn't have to "report in."  I understand why they worry, but it is such an inconvenience not having complete freedom anymore.

The lady continued, "I used to travel.  And I really miss it.  But the people that I used to go with are in worse shape than I am and they can't go anymore.  At this age, it's hard to make new friends that like to do the same things that you do.  And are capable of doing them."  The lady sitting next to her said, "I'm going to Rome in three weeks with my son.  I hope I don't give him any problems."

I couldn't help but tell her that she was blessed that her son wanted her to go with him.  My daughter Becky keeps trying to get me to go on a cruise.  But I hesitate.  That's part of the problem.  You don't know if you will be able to do it.  You doubt yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment