Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My friend Carolyn also has people living with her.  A granddaughter, her husband and their two children--Olivia and Patrick.

Patrick--who is two years old--is one of those kind of kids who crop up every now and then, who are smarter than the "average bear", (as Ken would say).  He is a handful, because he is always a step ahead of everyone, and has an inquisitive mind which is always turning and spinning.  Always curious as to "what would happen if..."  If.  And the "ifs" come as a regular occurrence.

I had one of those kind of kids, Scott, and he was always a step ahead of me.  "What would happen if I hit a swarm of bees with a broom?"  Or, "What would happen if I got on my skateboard at the top of the hill and rode it down into the cross street below?"  Or...or...or...it was something every day.  Keeping him alive was a continual challenge.  Broken bones were the norm.

Carolyn called yesterday and said, "Guess what Patrick did this morning."  All I could do was laugh and wait for the latest episode.  She told me that she was outside, in the back yard, and Patrick kept coming outside.  She kept scooting him back inside.  "Don't come out that door again," she told him.  So he didn't.  He locked the door from the inside and came out the doggie door.  Locking both of them outside.

And the doggie door--well there was no way Carolyn could get into the house through the doggie door.  "I had my cell phone with me," she said.  "Thank God I had my cell phone.  I was able to call somebody who had a key to come let us back in."

"Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord...and are his reward.  As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children...and happy is the man that has his quiver full of them..." Psalms 127: 3-5.

I don't need any more arrows in my quiver.  Five was enough.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment