Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I wrote the following back in 2016, but since Becky Bacon is here staying with me, I think it's worth repeating.  Becky and Joe have a real life romance story.  She was married before, and her ex told her that since she was such a romantic,  she should have married a guy he heard about in Viet Nam.  He said that this man flew C-47's and every time he was waiting on the runway for clearance to take off, he played "The Yellow Rose of Texas," and raised the Texas flag through the hatch.  "Never met the guy, but he was a romantic like you," Becky's husband said.  Their marriage didn't last.  After it dissolved, she prayed that God would send her someone like the Texan who played "The Yellow Rose of Texas.

Years later, while living in St. Louis, Becky was  visiting a single's class at her church and a new man offered to get her a cup of coffee.  "I don't drink coffee," she told him.  "I drink tea."  He brought her tea.  With milk and sugar--exactly right--and called her the next day.  And the next.  And the next.

"I didn't have time for that," Becky said.  "I was a nurse going to school trying to finish another degree, and trying to raise a son.  But this guy was persistent, so I finally said yes, and on our third date, I asked him to tell me more about himself.  His name was Joe."

"He told me that he was from Texas.  He had been adopted by the Agricultural Ambassador to India, where he was raised and went to school with the Maharaja.  Joe was Cherokee.  So he became an Indian-Indian.  Joe proceeded to tell me about his entire life.  He was a B-52 pilot who had volunteered to go to Viet Nam, flying C-47's and that while he was there, when he had a mission, that he flew the Texas flag and played the Yellow Rose of Texas every time he sat on the runway.

"I thought my heart was going to burst.  I could hardly believe what he was telling me.  This was definitely a God thing.  But I didn't tell him my story until after we were married--that I had heard about him, and about praying for God to send him to me for the last three years."

When God decides to put two people together, He will find a way.  They've been married over thirty years.  A match made in heaven.  They put the Texas flag on their front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment