Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Proverbs 27:17  "Iron sharpens iron; so a man (woman) sharpens the countenance of their friend."

Sally Casey is my friend.  I love her.  When I first met her, she was a newly converted Catholic who knew nothing much about the Bible.  But when she was converted to Christ--the man--and not to a particular church, she was more eager to learn scripture than anyone I had ever met or taught.  I have had the privilege of watching her grow into the full stature of Christ.  And now, she is a totally new woman, full of grace.  And knows more scripture than I do.  She studies constantly.

I told her the other day that I agreed with a friend of hers who had called her a prophet.  The Biblical  definition of a prophet is not someone who makes something up that isn't in the Bible.  It is someone who shares Christ.  Who shares the Bible's truths.  That is Sally.  She speaks up when the rest of us are still asking whether we should say something.  She speaks up when the rest of us are still trying to figure out what it is that we should say.  She is so bold in the Lord that you have to be in awe of her.

When I first met her, I was her teacher.  Now she is mine.  Sally is my friend.  I love her.

There have been many women in my life that are my friends.  Those I have left behind in other cities, and those who have left me to move to another town.  I think of Carolyn, of course, and Becky Bacon, and Kathy Mitchell...and once I start naming them, there is no end.  I will leave someone out. It is a far cry from the post I wrote two weeks ago of being a new bride with no friends--and finally making a friend of Lib.  Lib--who said, "Get up.  I'm going to bind your breasts so your milk won't come in.  You aren't dead yet.  You have two little girls who need you."

My friends teach me.  Things I don't know.  The more friends we have, the more we learn.  I was working an estate sale last week, and my daughter-in-law Stacy was taking pictures for my friend Kathy Mitchell to show her things she might want to buy.  I said, "Stacy, don't just take frontal pictures.  Take pictures from every angle and every side.  Kathy will want to see that."  I could say that because I know Kathy.  The more we know about someone, the better friend we can be.  (Stacy said, "I know!")"A friend loves at all times..."  Proverbs 17:17.  Even when we can no longer be close.



No comments:

Post a Comment