Monday, September 16, 2013

Hebrews 13:1-2  "Let brotherly love continue.  Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."  Don't you just love the book of Hebrews!!!

In 1998, Frank Peretti wrote a book, "This Present Darkness," that prompted me go to Scripture to reexamine what I believed about angels.  The biggest shock to me was how many scriptures there were on angels that I had just skimmed over without much thought.  Dozens and dozens of them.

After reading scripture (including the one above from Hebrews) I decided that angels weren't just for "back then," but were also for now.  For us, too.  I've never seen one, that I know of, but Hebrews says we may have entertained an angel and not known it.  I know for sure God sends people into our lives when we need them.

A friend of mine (70+ years) had her storm cellar door open.  Doppler had been warning us of an impending tornado.  She took a wrong step and fell down a dozen concrete stairs, breaking her leg in more than one place, and hitting her head on the concrete floor.  Then when she came to, she drug herself up those stairs.  No one could imagine how she did it.  But she did.  Then she drug herself into her kitchen--where she had a phone on the wall.  She lay there for hours and hours, unable to stand up and reach the phone--waiting for someone to call so she could pull the phone off the wall by the cord, answer it and get help.

I hadn't spoken to her in months and months, but we had a mutual friend who lived in Shawnee (which had just been hit by a tornado) so I called her to check on them.  I heard a huge clatter when she yanked the phone off the wall and pulled it back over to her side.  "You are my angel," she breathed into the phone.  "I have been lying here praying that God would send me an angel."

I've never been an angel before.  It felt pretty good.  All I had to do was call 911.

No comments:

Post a Comment