Friday, September 20, 2013

Temptation?  Depending on your age, you have passed through many different periods of temptation in your life.  You can look back and wonder what your problem was, since what tempted you then may not tempt you now.  One temptation that I have had all my life has been any kind of bread with yeast in it.

My mother used to send me to the store with 2 dimes for two loaves of bread.  She knew that I would eat one whole loaf before I got home.  Luckily I had a racing metabolism so I didn't gain weight. (Yes, bread was a dime.)  Doughnuts should have been a food group.

When I finally got to Junior High School, I would take my quarter to the Bakery.  While my friends were eating their hamburger and french fries, I would eat an entire loaf of fresh baked bread.  There is nothing wrong with bread unless you are me.  I don't seem to know when I've had enough.

It's easy to judge someone who has a temptation in their life that you don't have.  But judging your own temptations is something we should regularly do.  My method of dealing with the things that tempt me is to stay away from them.  When you have a lifetime habit that is damaging you or those around you, quit.  I don't go to bakeries when I am in charge of what is going on because I know the aroma will overcome me.  I limit myself to one doughnut a week at church.

Why in the world would a church hand out doughnuts and coffee.  I know.  I know.  It's not your temptation--but I could eat the entire dozen in the box.  You might be thinking, It's not Scotch--it's not cigarettes.  No, but the way I eat bread is not good for my health.

James 1: 12  "Blessed is the man (woman) that endures temptation:  for when he is tried, he (she) shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him."

 I bet there will be doughnuts in heaven.  There's probably going to be a doughnut tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment