Thursday, September 12, 2013

Let's look at those verses one more time.  Hev. 12: 1-2  "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us."

I don't like to get hot.  I do not like to sweat.  Running races is something I never did nor will ever do, especially with weights on.  As a matter of fact, I don't like to exercise, jog, do push ups etc. etc…  You might say that I'm a sedentary type.  Give me a book and a recliner and I am good to go.

But the writer is talking about mental and spiritual exertion.  He compared it to a race.  You aren't racing against anyone, you and I are racing toward someone.  Christ.  Toward a finish line.

And he says the way to run this race is to stay focused and watch out for the snares that are tempting to us.  The things that so easily get in our way.  That beset us.  This means you need to know where you are most likely to stumble.  Where you  are most likely to fall.

And there is some spiritual sweat involved.  You have to make a spiritual effort.  You have to "Study to show yourself approved unto God,  a workman (race runner) that doesn't need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."  2 Timothy 2: 15.  

If you want the trophy you have to do the work.  Christ is standing at the finish line waiting for each of us to cross.  I don't want to come trailing in last.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment