Thursday, September 26, 2013

James is full of one line zingers.

James 1: 22  "But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."

Which means:  It doesn't do you any good to learn, learn, learn if you don't put it into action.

I teach young women from time to time. I have determined that I can give a class almost everything that I have to give in three years.  By that time, they are either ready to serve or they aren't ever going to do anything but listen.

I had a class full of women that were ready to serve in the church.  They just didn't know it.  They wanted to stay in my class and sit and soak.

So I told them, "It's time for all of you to go find a place in the church to serve."  Three months later, they were still in my class, so the next Sunday I told them that I was quitting.   "I'm going to go teach High School seniors."

Now, they are all serving in the church as leaders.  It's been forty years.  The other day, one of them said to me  "I couldn't believe you would really leave us.  I couldn't believe that you would just up and quit."  I told her that I didn't quit, I just got a brand new set of "listeners."

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  Just be sure you are a doer--of the word.  Not a sit and soaker. "Ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth."  2Tim. 3: 7




No comments:

Post a Comment