Monday, December 2, 2013

I have been reading the Psalms.  What a wonderful collection of David's thoughts, songs and prayers.  (He was so human.)  I play the piano and the marimba at our church.  So many of the hymns are like David's songs.  Full of meaning and from the heart.  I have found the hymns and the Psalms so very comforting the last two weeks.

Ken loved music.  He would always tell me what a great pianist I was.  (I am very, very average)  The last few months, at night after I got him in bed,  he would ask me to play for him.  I wish I had played more, but there was a 40 year period that I just couldn't seem to get around to it very often. Raising children, going to school, working…Playing the piano wasn't at the top of my list.  But Ken kept after me to play.

He bought me an upright grand.  I gave it to my daughter.  When my mom was gone, I took the piano from her home, but when my granddaughter began to play, I gave it to her.

So four years ago, Ken bought me another upright grand and I began to play again in earnest.  And I got better.  I am glad Ken didn't give up on me.  Every night he would ask me to play, "Eternal Father Strong to Save."  I did.  We sang it at his service.  I have been playing it again each night these last two weeks.  I think Ken is listening.  I am a much better pianist because he kept pushing me to play.

Music.  One of the gifts that God gives us.  We have the understanding of it in our hearts and souls.  It transports us to a memory, a place or time.

"I will sing a new song unto you, O God…"  Psalms 144:9a.  I am trying to sing a new song.  It is no longer a duet.  I am singing a solo.  I will get better at it with practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment