Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Psalms 14:1  "The fool has said in his heart, There is no God."  

If I've told you this story before, indulge me.  Ken taught sociology for 28 years.  On the first day of each semester he would say to the class, "The most basic sociological question that humans decide, is whether there is a God or not.  Since I believe there is a God, it will affect the way I present every sociological theory.  If that bothers you, now is the time to find a different teacher.  If it doesn't bother you, welcome to my class."

I have been amazed at the number of people that I don't even know who have told me stories about Ken.  I heard another one today.  I keep hearing things like, "He changed my life."  And, "He changed the way I looked at the world."  Hundreds and hundreds of his students are scattered all over the state.

 I remember checking into a hotel in Oklahoma City with our school's Student Council members and the check-in clerk looked at my signature and asked me, "Are you related to Ken Jacks?"  I told him I was his wife, and listened to his story about knowing Ken when he was in high school.  "We wrote Ken's name on our tackling dummies.  The coach told us that if we could take Ken down, we could beat Pryor.  He was an amazing fullback."

The stories go on and on.  Just when I think I know him, I hear another story.  I know one thing for sure, he believed in God.  It affected every aspect of his life.  It was a joy to be married to a man who had such a strong Christian conviction.   He lived what he believed.

There is a God.  It is the basic question we must answer before we can decide how to live our lives.  Any route that doesn't acknowledge Him is foolish.  Eventually, every knee will bow.







No comments:

Post a Comment