Friday, December 6, 2013

Well, I'm locked in.  Sleet and ice.  The worst that weather Oklahoma has to offer as far as I'm concerned.  I really feel sorry for those people have to get out in this mess.

I'm sure we've all seen "sayings",  those quotes of scripture--or moral reminders--that are meant to hang on the wall.  My grandmother had one of those.   In her little four room house,  as you walked in the front door, was a little plaque that quoted this scripture:

Psalms 37: 25  "I have been young, and now I am old;  yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed (children) begging bread."

Now that I am probably considered to be old--I understand that scripture.  I find it interesting that she, my Gran, had no other scripture on her walls.  Just that single Psalm.  It made such an impression on me.  It was her statement that God was her strength, that He would never forsake her, or let her go hungry.  The only requirement was that you be righteous.  Christ covers that for us; he is our righteousness.  But if there was ever a righteous woman, it was my Gran.

She was in her 80's, living alone on Social Security.  She had an old 1950 Ford, and she would pick up the "Old Women" (as she referred to them) and take them to the grocery store, or to church.   I don't know if any of those ladies helped with Gran's gas.  I hope they did, but even if they didn't, she depended on God for her sustenance, not other people.

I've been young.  Now I am older.  God has never forsaken me either.

I had a wonderful grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment