Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Is there any passage in the Bible that gives us comfort like the 23rd Psalm.  "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside the still waters."

Did you know that if the water is moving, the sheep will absorb the rushing water in their wool, lose their footing and drown? And that sheep won't lie down if they are frightened or hungry.

So the shepherd takes care of the physical needs of his sheep.  Of course the Psalmist means us.  Christ is the shepherd, we are the sheep.  We do not want.

"He restores my soul: he leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."  I have needed quite a bit of restoring of my soul this month.  Christ sustains me as grief overwhelms me.   And he does it so that his name will be glorified.

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

I have felt like I was walking in a shadow this last month.  Death casts a shadow, but with a tap of His rod and with the crook of his staff, Christ comforts me an pulls me out of the shadows.

"You prepare a table before  me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil;, my cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

Goodness, and mercy.  What a comfort.  And they will follow me for the rest of the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment