Thursday, November 5, 2015

I never particularly liked the kind of presents that men usually give to women.  Roses, candy, fur, jewelry, etc.  I didn't need that kind of "Wooing."  All my girlfriends thought that I was nuts, but for me,  I would much rather have the gift of "picking what I want."  I always loved it when Ken went shopping with me and I picked out what I wanted.  My tastes are eclectic.

I took that "Love Language" test and realized that I had a love language that didn't need gifts.  My love language is "Help Me."  I want someone to give me a hand with my projects.  When I was making raised beds for my vegetable garden, I went to the lumber yard, got the boards cut to size and the screws and corner braces.  And when I brought all that home, I could do it all except that I needed help holding the boards while I braced and screwed them together.  That kind of help with my projects beats candy and flowers for me any day of the week.  "Here, let me help you with that," are sweet words to me.  Having Craig and Becky help me hang drapes gets a star rating.  And Pat helping me unpack boxes.  And my sister Lisa helping me hang pictures.

Ken's greatest quality was generosity.  With everyone.  Not just me.  I could have had the roses, candy, etc.  It just wasn't my thing.   It was a good thing that I have the gift of frugality or things could have gone South.  Because whatever I wanted, he wanted me to have.

God is a generous giver like that.  When I went to bed last night and was saying my prayers, I went through the ACTS thing, (Adoration, Confession, Thanks) and when I got to Supplication, I couldn't think of anything to supplicate.  I'm not rich.  I'm not poor.  He has given me all I want or need.  The only thing I could think of, was to ask for the health of other people, and solutions for their problems.

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children (husband, wife, friends), how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?"  Matthew 7:11





No comments:

Post a Comment