Friday, November 6, 2015

When Ken went overseas to Japan, or somewhere East one time, he was gone for thirteen months.  We couldn't afford to phone.  It was before social media, so letters were our only form of communication.  "What do you want me to bring back for you?" he asked.  "I have no idea," I answered.  "But there is one thing I know I don't want and that is anything fur.  I don't really like fur."

When he returned, he had bought a huge duffel bag and filled it full of presents.  "I've got birthday's, Christmas, Mother's day and everything in between covered for at least five more years, " he said.

I just grinned at him because I knew he wouldn't last a week.  He would want to give it all to me right then.  He didn't last the day.  There were silk dresses, beaded sweaters, pearls, and dozens and dozens of other things.  And a mink stole.  "You bought me fur...because...?

"All the other guys bought their wives mink.  I didn't want you to feel left out."

Flash forward.  (I've already told you this story, but it is a good one about gifts, so I will tell it again.) Ken had gone to Spain for three months.  I was irritated with him for some reason when he left--I have no idea why.  I wrote him a letter, and told him that I was going to cut the mink up and make potty seat covers out of it.  (Surprise.  I have faults.)  I expected to win whatever argument we were having--you would think I would remember, but I don't.  But no.  He took my letter and posted it on the bulletin board in his office.  (He was the commanding officer)

So every time anyone got sent in with "women" problems, he would point them to my letter and say, "Son, we all have problems with women.  You will just have to stick it out until we go home."

When they got back, I couldn't figure out why the troops were pointing at me when they got off the ship.  "That's her."  You could read their lips.

I still have the mink.  I didn't cut it up.  I wore it once to the Marine Corps Ball and then gave it to Pat.  She wore it to the opera in Tulsa a bunch of times and gave it back to me last year.  I have it hanging in my closet where I can see it every time I open the door.  I don't wear it, but I like to touch it.  It reminds me of how lucky I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment