Monday, November 30, 2015

On Saturday I woke up to the worst weather in Oklahoma--and that includes tornados.  The trees were so loaded with ice that if they hadn't already split from the weight of the ice on the branches, the limbs that had been twenty feet in the air the day before were bent to the ground in semi-defeat.

The ground was still wet, but everything over one foot off the ground was frozen.  What a mess.  I got in the car to drive to Becky's and it was like driving in a mine field.  Tree limbs lying across the roads, with electric and phone lines either broken or hanging in huge draping arcs covered with ice cycles drooping under the weight.  The weatherman said that Edmond got the brunt of it.

It is the single worst type of weather that we get in Oklahoma--as far as I am concerned.  It affects everyone for days and days.  My house in Pryor was all electric (gas wasn't available in our area) and in one ice storm that we had,  Ken and I were without power for seven days.  You really don't know how much you depend on electricity until you don't have it.

After that, I had a propane fireplace built into the family room and bought my own propane tank.   I really don't like to suffer.  I am a city girl.  I want the grocery store to stay in business.  I don't want to milk a cow or gather eggs or feed livestock in any kind of weather.  When I need eggs, I call Pat.  She has chickens and brings the eggs to my door.  She is definitely not a city girl.  At all.

I am sure God has a reason for ice storms--if only to make us thankful for good weather.  And make us long for Spring.

"For...the rain comes down and the snow (and ice) from heaven, and returns not thither, but waters the earth and makes it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower and bread to the eater."  Isaiah 55:10  I guess I will accept that reason.  But I do prefer rain or snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment