Thursday, January 14, 2016

Becky called me this afternoon and said I should come to an estate sale that she was helping Pam (Edmond Antiques owner) get ready for.  I went.  Unbelievable.  These people had inherited boo-coo  antiques from an aunt and packed them away for a million years because they didn't like antiques.  There were boxes and boxes of beautiful things.   I've been interested in things that are old ever since I was in high school.  They represent a discarded past and I think that type of history is interesting.

This was unbelievable.  There were things in this estate sale that I had never seen before, and some things that I had only seen in collectors books.  Beautiful cranberry glass--Mary Gregory, Fenton, Flow-blue, and on and on.  Gobs and gobs of it.  Not to mention carved walnut furniture in every room.  And marble.  No, I didn't buy anything.  Mostly because there was so many beautiful things that I couldn't take it all in.  And I need more stuff like a moose needs a hat-rack.

Women like pretty things.  Most men could care less.  But in our defense, I think God made us that way.  We decorate our homes.  We decorate our walls.  We decorate ourselves.  We love "pretty."

But as the old sayings go:  "Pretty is as pretty does."  And you have heard people say:  "She is pretty on the inside as well as the outside."  Both sayings concern the heart.  The attitude.  The thoughts.

We need to make sure that we decorate the walls of our heart with the same attention to detail that we spend on the outside of our world.  "For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..."  Galatians 5:22-23a

We can all work on those attributes.  I've got a couple of them down.  I'm so-so on a few of the others.  But long-suffering?  Well now.  That's a different story.  Patience may be a virtue,  but it is not a virtue that I seem to have much of.  My spiritual work is cut out for me.  How about you?



No comments:

Post a Comment