Friday, January 8, 2016

In 1944, when I would go to the grocery store with my mother, there was a freezer in the middle of one of the aisles that had horse meat in it.  Each part was wrapped in white butcher paper and labeled as to what was inside.  It was a lot cheaper than beef or chicken.

"Why do people want horse meat?" I asked my mom.  "Because they can't afford any other meat," she answered.  "They eat it!!??"  I was shocked.  "Yes, they do.  But we don't have to do that.  Your dad has a job.  We can afford chicken." 

It is no longer legal to sell horse meat for consumption in the U.S., but Pat (daughter #1) told me that horse meat is still consumed in Mexico.  "How do you know that," I asked her.  "Well," she said, There is an auction house where I go pick up horses every week or so that are too valuable to kill for meat, and I find them a home. They sell hundreds of horses every week and people truck them to Mexico.  You can't kill them in Oklahoma anymore, so they go somewhere that you can slaughter them for consumption.  The guys who buy them and truck them out tell me stuff.  It makes me sad."

"Some of the horses are young, used up as racing stock, jumpers.  Just not able to do those things anymore, so their owners send them to this auction.  But the auction house culls some of them that they think are worth saving and give people a chance to rescue them before they go on the block."
 She went on to tell me that it costs her $150.00 every time she picks one up, but it is worth it if she can find a home for the horse to live out its days.  "I can't save them all, but it is like the story of the boy who picked up the starfish on the beach and tossed it back in the ocean...I can save one." She gets on the phone and starts calling people.  It's like rescuing stray dogs and cats.  It's heart breaking.

Saving the lost is the same thing.  They are on the auction block.  You can't save them all, but you can rescue one or two.  Your life is "light in the darkness" to the lost.  It may cost you something, but your reward will be great.  You don't have to win the world, just win one, the one that God puts in your path.




No comments:

Post a Comment