Monday, February 1, 2016

Becky Bacon's husband Joe Mike is a pilot.  When he and Ken met each other, it was an instantaneous friendship.  They had both been pilots in Viet Nam, and the four of us fit together as friends like hands in gloves.

Ken quit flying after he got back.  Joe didn't.  He flew Lears  for a private company that chartered.  He also played the part of Wiley Post in the annual Will Rogers celebration in Claremore--flying in with a patch over his eye in full character.   He sometimes flew as as a charter pilot for Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood who live on the edge of Claremore.

One night, at two in the morning, there was a knock on our back door.  "Who is it," I yelled!!  "It's Franklin and Eleanor," was the answer.  I knew Joe's voice, so I opened the door, and there he stood in his pilot's uniform with a Styrofoam crate in his arms.  "What in the world are you doing?!!" I asked him. "It's the middle of the night!!"

 "I've brought you Franklin and Eleanor straight from Maine," he said.  I took the crate and lifted the lid and there were two big lobsters crawling around inside.

"I know you love lobster.  I just landed and wanted to bring them to you all right now so you can ice them down." 

"And you named them!  How can I eat a lobster that has a name," I asked him.

"They'll be tasty," he answered.

Friends are wonderful things.  Only Joe would bring me lobster at two o'clock in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment