Friday, May 6, 2016

Christophe and Carine, Becky's friends  in Paris, read my blog every night.  Which humbles me. Becky stays with them in their hotel when she takes a group to Paris.  She got back last night--after ten days--and told me all about how sweet they were to her and the group she took with her.  Carine fixed a picnic lunch for them, and they went to the garden that Monet painted--the one with the curved bridge that you see in his paintings.  Becky said that it was unbelievable the different things Carine had prepared.  Not only does French food taste delicious, it is always "Presented Beautifully."

Every time Becky comes back from overseas, I get to listen to all the stories.  The thing I like the best is her descriptions of the food.  I do love to eat.  She has been trying to talk me into going back with her soon--but I don't know if I can walk it anymore.  And you do have to be able to walk.  Even with buses, the Metro, and cabs, there is still plenty of walking.  She says we will take a cruise from Amsterdam to Switzerland, but why go overseas if you don't go to Paris.

I started going with her twenty-seven years ago once or twice a year.  She had so many frequent flier miles that she got my ticket when we used to take the boys.  It was fun, but I don't remember where I have been or when I was there.  I know I have been in a bunch of different places, but it all runs together.  I do remember a few things that were special:  An organ concert in the Notre Dame.

But I do remember the first trip.  Talk about transgender; I had to go to the bathroom.  We found one.  Talk about shock.  Men and women both used it at the same time.  I ran out and told her there was some mistake!  She said, "No, that's the way it is here.  If you want to go, you don't have another choice."  Things have changed over the last twenty seven years, however.  Which is good.

Americans think that things have to be the way they are done here.  But other countries have their charm and own way of doing things.  Different is good.  And fun.  The people are the best part.




No comments:

Post a Comment