Monday, May 23, 2016

My sister Lisa came Thursday night for a couple of days.  I love it when she comes because she is so easy to be around.  I guess because we were raised by the same mother and father even though we were twenty one years apart--we think alike, eat alike, share the same motivations for getting things done, and have many of the same memories.  She is the sweetest, most pleasant person in my family.

We hung shelves.  Those little ones from Italy with gilt leaves.  Thirteen of them.  She had hung twice that many the last time she was here. It takes one person to hold it, the other to say, "A little to the right," and hand the nail and hammer.  Then both of us to say, "It's too high."  Or "Too low." 

Four of us, Becky, Lisa, me, and our cousin Ann, went garage sale-ing this morning.  When you get four women together--especially family--talking is a problem.  Everyone talks at once.  It was fun.
And it is amazing all of the stuff that people have for sale.  There are some things that you see over and over.  Especially exercise equipment.  Good intentions spread out on the driveway.  George Foreman Grills and pasta machines and smoothie blenders.  And shoes.  Millions of shoes.  And a billion different kinds of dishes.

I am sure that people had a plan to use those things when they bought them, but many items are still in the box with the price tag attached.  Good intentions that went South.

I bought ten dresses for my "soon to be" great-granddaughter Olivia, that still had the original tags on them.  For next to nothing.  The mother who sold them to me said that they were gifts that never got used.  It is a lot of fun.  We all came home with treasures.  I guess the old saying that "One man's trash is another man's treasure," is true.  But in Edmond, the sales are up-scale, definitely not trash.

I love a bargain.  Everyone loves a bargain.  And eternal life is the best deal going.  It's free.  The price has already been paid by Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment