Thursday, May 5, 2016

When Ken asked me to marry him, I told him that I had two requirements of a husband that were absolutely not up for discussion, and if he wanted me to marry him he would have to agree to them.   The first one was that we would always go to church together.  The second was that I didn't want alcoholic beverages to have any part in our lives.  That not only would we not drink, we wouldn't serve either.  I didn't want to deal with alcohol problems.  Ever.

He agreed.  So at that point, I began to consider the possibility of marrying him.  Which I did.  Good decision.  But in the Marine Corps, not drinking was a problem.  It is the oil that moves the world.  In business, in the military, and in every walk of life.

The commanding officer of the group would call Ken in at least once a month and say, "Ken, I want you to reconsider your position on not serving alcohol.  You don't have to drink, but you need to serve it as a choice. (Ken was the commanding officer of a squadron at the time.  Up till then, it hadn't been an issue.)  So Ken would come home, we would discuss it, and then Ken would go back to the group CO and say, "I've reconsidered my position, and I am not going to serve alcohol." 

So, to show the CO that you could have a fun time without booze, we decided to throw a party at our house on a Saturday.  Fried chicken, potato salad, baked beans, coka-cola, iced tea, coffee, home made ice cream, etc. and invited everyone in the group.  And their children.  Nobody had done that before.  The group CO brought his children--one of his children had Down's Syndrome--and our kids took her by the hand, and everyone had a blast.  There were a lot of kids.

The following Monday, the CO called Ken into his office and said, "You've proved your point.  I'll get off your back.  Nobody ever invited my children into their home before.  We all had a great time."

I guess you just have to do what you have to do.  And live the way you decide to live.  Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment