Thursday, May 12, 2016

Did you ever wonder if you were really going to go to heaven?  Did you ever wonder if Christ really saved you?  We all probably wonder about it from time to time because we think there must be something more that we can do.  It is hard to fathom that Jesus did it all, and all we have to do is trust Him, repent of our sins and allow him to come into our lives and let His Spirit and do all the work of changing us.  There really isn't anything you can do.  It is so simple that it seems impossible.

John, one of the twelve disciples of Jesus, was writing to you and me for times like that when he wrote:  1 John 5:11-13 "And this is the record, that God has given to us (you and me) eternal life and this life is in his Son.  He that has the Son has life; and he that doesn't have the Son of God doesn't have life.  These things I have written to you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that you may know that you have eternal life and that you may believe on the name of the Son of God."

That is one of my all time favorite passages.  John always wrote to validate the truth.  He says things like,  "...this is the record..." and "...I have written to you..."  Making sure that you know that he is an eye witness to the events of Jesus' life.  John is telling it like it is.  He was there.

The thing that is so unique about the passage is that he is writing to believers.  So that they can know.  So that they can believe.  It is a circular description of what John knew that we were going to do as believers.  Doubt.  So he writes to us so that we can know.  And believe.  Again and again.

So every time I start wondering why God would want to save me, I go back to this passage and the words of John and reassure myself that this man John, who personally knew Jesus and spent three years with him, is telling me the truth.  God wants me for his own.  All I need to do is believe.  And then I know.  And I believe even stronger, because I have heard the truth from an eye witness.

Jesus loves me, this I know.  For the Bible tells me so.  Little ones to Him belong.  We are weak, but He is strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment