Monday, May 30, 2016

Well, I did a "stupid."  I am just glad I didn't break any bones.  I wanted to get rid of the invasive green stuff that was taking over my Koi pond and waterfall.  I think it's called moneywort.  (I didn't take what I wrote to you last Friday to heart.  I let my buzzing brain override my common sense again.)

So I climbed up the stacked rocks of the waterfall and started ripping the green stuff out.  Problem was, I didn't take my sandals off and when I was trying to climb back down, one of my sandals shifted and down I went on a bunch of sharp stones.  My arm is black and blue.  Band-aids took care of the cuts.  And I learned my lesson.  I won't do that again.

 I just can't imagine all the things I have to learn that I can't do anymore.  Growing older is just a series of "giving things up."  You spend the first three fourths of your life learning how to do stuff, and the last fourth not being able to do any of it.  Frustrating as all get-out.

That's why they tell you to save for retirement.  Because you are retired.  Finished.   Kaput. You either have to give up all the things you want done, or hire it done if you can afford it. 

However, I can still sing.  The choir director had me sing a short solo part when we performed this afternoon.  I haven't done that in sixty years.  I still have a voice.  I can still play the piano.  I can still play the marimba.  I can still do the wash, the dishes, fold the clothes, sew, cook dinner, and all the other things that I need to do.  Praise God; I'm thankful for that.  Just can't do some of the things I want to do.  The list of things I can do is much longer than the list of things I can't do.

1 Thessalonians 5:18  "In everything give thanks.  For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."  Everything.  That means all of it.

The thing I am most thankful for is that I can still think.  At least I think I can think?





No comments:

Post a Comment