Thursday, May 19, 2016

      I sometimes think my two daughters have a screw loose.
      Becky called awhile ago and asked where that scripture was that said that you had to paint the inside of the closets first--because if the house was clean on the inside of your closets, then everything would be fine.   "Always clean from the inside out was what you told us."
     "That isn't a scripture," I said.  "I have no idea what you are talking about."
      "Don't you remember," she said.  "Every time we moved, the first thing you would tell us to do was to paint the inside of our closets.  You told us that it was a rule.  We had to paint inside the closets before we put our clothes in them.  The way you said it, I always thought it was in the Bible.  And then, after you mopped all of the floors, you would come in my room and dump all my stuff out and tell me to organize it.  I had no idea what that meant.  How do you decide where things go?  I still don't know where things go."
      "Why would you want to put your clothes in a dirty closet where someone had just moved out.  Why wouldn't you want to organize your things in your chest of drawers," I asked.  "We were at the mercy of the military.  Rent houses weren't clean, and I wasn't going to live in someone's else's dirt.   
      "Well, I've always thought it was scripture.  You made it sound like it was straight from God."
      
      Then Pat called and said that she had a baby chicken that was sick.  She was afraid it was going to die, so she had taken it into the house where it was warm.  "I don't think I should give up on it as long as it is trying to live.  I wouldn't want God to give up on me," she said.  "We aren't supposed to give up on things.  It's in the Bible somewhere."
      "It's a chicken," I told her.  "Sometimes they die.  You have a lot of other chickens."
      "But it's my chicken," she said.  "If it wants to keep trying, I don't want to give up on it."
      "But it may be suffering.  That's not good."
      "No, it doesn't seem to be in any pain.  It's just very quiet.  I just wanted to tell you about it."

      I wonder what all I told them that they believe is in the Bible.  I'm sure hope it was all good. 
      
      

     


2 comments:

  1. Maybe Becky was thinking about Mt. 23:25-26 or Luke 11:39. There is something to be said about being clean on the inside. As for Pat, "never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill is quoted as saying this, but my dad said it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you are good inside and out!

    ReplyDelete