Wednesday, June 15, 2016

I am sure that God is aware that I pray on a very low level.  I can't imagine Him.  I try, but when I read about Him in the Bible, the descriptions are outside of my brain's ability to formulate an image.  He is high and majestic.  The bright and morning star.  Shining and glorious.  I've never seen anyone like that.  Neither has anyone else.  My imagination gets stuck.

Recall that on Mount Sinai when God spoke to Moses, Moses was told to turn away from the appearance of God--so Moses didn't see Him.  And then there are all the pictures that have been painted trying to depict Jesus--which you know aren't right--because there weren't any cameras back then.  Most pictures have Him depicted in the same way.  Soft.  Pretty.  No wrinkles.  Long brown hair.  Painters must have decided that if he was God, then he had to be attractive.
But the Bible tells us that there was nothing about him that was attractive.  His hands had to be callused from working as a carpenter until he was thirty years old. "He grew up like small plant before the Lord, like a root growing in a dry land. He had no special beauty or form to make us notice him; there was nothing in his appearance to make us desire him."   Isaiah 53:2.

So it is a dilemma.  I can't picture Jesus.   I can't picture God.  I can't even picture the two being one.  I try--especially when I am praying.  But it is useless.  My human limitations, as I said, keep me at a low level.  But since God created me, I am sure He understands my problem.

"Whom having not seen, you love; in whom, though now you see him not, yet believing, you rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory."  1Peter1:8    I qualify for that: I love Him.  I believe.  I rejoice.  I have joy.

"Jesus said unto him...because you have seen me, you have believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29  That's me.  That's you.  We get a blessing for trying.




No comments:

Post a Comment