Wednesday, June 1, 2016

I got this message on Memorial Day from my son Scott about Ken--and Ken's brother Bob--who was an officer in the Navy:
 
       STORY TIME! Bob and Quetta (Bob's wife) came to visit one time when I was just old enough   (seven or eight) to understand that Dad and Bob were both in the Military and what that meant.  I will NEVER FORGET what my dad Ken said when I asked him, "Why is Uncle Bob's Uniform different than yours?" He said... "Sam, (my dad always called me Sam), your Uncle Bob made a mistake and joined the Taxi Cab service.  Just remember this if you ever become a Marine...The Marines are for MEN and the The Navy is the service for SQUIDS and we don't like Squids. We love em but, we don't have to like em!"  And then he winked at me.  I  miss them both! 

Scott went on to join the Marine Corps.  He also came under fire by the enemy.  He probably got to war in a Navy taxi.  Ken, on the other hand, spent his years on Navy carriers manned by Naval Officers and men.  Three of them were groomsmen at our wedding along with four Marines.

Jonathan spent four years overseas in the Navy.  A Squid that Ken both loved and liked.  All of my men served their country.  I am really proud of them.  Ken was, too.

My dad joined the Army, and my granddaughter Amy served four years in the Army.

Thank all of you for your service.  And every veteran as well.  I know personally what a sacrifice that you made.  I saw it.



No comments:

Post a Comment