Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sunday, we continued the book of 1 Samuel.  The book starts with Hannah begging God for a son.  And making a vow that if God grants her petition, she will give him to God and to His service all the days of the boy's life.

Even though she is up in years, God grants her petition.  And when the child is weaned, she takes him to the temple and gives him to Eli, the priest.  I don't think that I could have done that!!!  Eli had sons who were very wicked.  He didn't discipline them.  They were absolutely evil.  Eli had not been a good parent at all.  But Hannah did what she told God she would do.  She took him to Eli to serve in the temple.

I'm sure she visited him.  I can't believe she would give up parenting and guidance of her son altogether--because Samuel grew to be a wonderful man in spite of the influence of Eli and his sons.  Samuel was full of wisdom.  He was the adviser to King Saul, and later King David. 

While researching the story, I was struck by how many women in the Bible were infertile besides Hannah, and later had a child. These are a few of the most well known.
     Sarah, Abraham's wife had a son when she was past childbearing age: Isaac.
     Rachel, Jacob's wife had Joseph and Benjamin.
     Sampson's mom.  (Unnamed.)
     Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist.  She was very old

Sometimes, children come late in life.  My mom had Lisa long, long after childbearing years.  Her doctor told her she couldn't be pregnant.  It would be impossible.  But she was.  And I got my one sister.  Lisa.  For which I am very thankful even if I was twenty-one when she was born.

On the other hand, there are millions of children out there, alone, needing parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment