Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I am going to go see the movie "Scully" on Wednesday.  Everyone I know who has seen it says it is really good.  And my friend Carolyn added, "I could watch Tom Hanks read a phone book."  I have to agree with her.  I always believe that the character he plays in a movie is who he really is.  Until he releases a new movie.  Then he becomes a new character.

I hope that the people who know me know that the character that I am is always, "What you see is what you get."   Carolyn tells me that no one will ever blackmail me because I have told everyone every fault that I have.   I guess I have taken that scripture to heart that says, "Confess your faults one to another.  The effectual fervent  prayer of a righteous person avails much."

I just figure that if they know the real me, that they can see what God can do with a person who has so many faults.  I don't like fake people in my everyday life.  I like real.  I figure everyone else likes "real" as well.

In my favor, I am honest, dependable, trustworthy, and faithful.  And I will always be on time.  On the other hand, I am unreasonably frugal.  I make snap judgments.  I procrastinate--which I have learned to use to my advantage by staying busy while I avoid doing the thing I don't want to do.  And I have a hard time listening.  I have to work at it--especially when someone is telling me something that I find boring.

Do you know your character?  Your good characteristics and your bad ones.  Or do you deny or ignore your faults.  I think it is a good thing to look closely at yourself and determine what you can improve.  Sunday in my class, someone said, "I can't help it.  That's just the way I am."  I don't buy that because it denies the fact that you can do something about the way you are.  God expects you to get better.  Develop a better character over time.  As Christians, we should all be better people as time goes by.  The book of Proverbs is full of advice on building character.

The apostle Paul said, "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12
Salvation is free.  Character building isn't.  It's work.









No comments:

Post a Comment