Friday, September 9, 2016

I don't get mad very easily.  As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I got angry.  If someone disses me, I figure that they are just having a bad day.  The Bible says: "Be...angry, and sin not: don't let the sun go down upon your wrath."  Ephesians 4:26

Anger takes too much energy.  And the only person it hurts is yourself.  The person you are mad at doesn't give a big whoop, so being angry is usually a big waste of time.

Now hurt feelings, that's another thing altogether.  You do have the power to hurt my feelings.  But that is just because of a streak of pride in my nature--which I know, in some cases is a sin.  I want you to like me.  I like having people like me!!  I'm sure you do, too.

The Bible tells us that there are three categories of sin:  "For all that is in the world, (1) the lust of the flesh, and (2) the lust of the eyes, and (3)  the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world."
1 John:16.

If you work hard, or have accomplished something, or have overcome something difficult, it is natural to be proud of yourself.  It gives you a sense of satisfaction.  I don't think that is what John was talking about in that verse.  I think he was talking about the kind of pride that makes you think you are better than someone else.  The kind of pride that causes you to think that you have the right to look down on others.  Self-righteous pride.  Puffed up pride.  I'm better than you pride.

The other two categories of sin are self explanatory.  Sexual sin, and greedy sin--I want more, more, more.  I want more than you have.  I want better stuff, newer stuff, than you have.

We are to have a generous spirit.  The more you make, the more you should give away.  There are people out there in need.  Real need.  We can help.  You don't need more stuff.  Neither do I.



No comments:

Post a Comment