Monday, September 5, 2016

Interesting thing happened in my Bible class on Sunday.  There were 13 or 14 people there.  The subject was on the Creator and His creation.  I had the lesson prepared and began by reading a statement that our pastor had written--which I was in total agreement with.  (Our pastor wrote the material that we, along with 14 other states, are using.)

He said, "We live in a world that is increasingly reliant on science and the scientific method.  Don't let that scare you.  The more science reveals to us about creation, the more we will learn about our wondrous Creator..."  He added, "Many people have come to the conclusion that these (science and the Bible)... are in opposition to each other--that we must embrace one and reject the other.  The truth is that...they should be viewed as partners."  I like that.

I thought that was interesting because I have never heard a minister say anything like that--or even be interested in science.  I was rather excited about the subject, since science is my area of expertise and the creation story and how the dinosauric ages fit into the Biblical story is a subject I have spent fifty years researching.

But even though I have a fairly good grasp on that subject, I must have done a poor job of presenting it because only two people got what I was trying to say.  This class is knowledgable about spiritual truths, but no one in the class is a scientist and most aren't interested (at all) in how the Bible is supported by scientific truths.  Which fascinates me.

Needless to say, it didn't go well.  The reason being, is that I was teaching the lesson from a perspective that they had never heard before and weren't ready to receive.  It was foreign to them.  They aren't ready to fill in the blanks concerning things the Bible doesn't explain but science does.

So I learned something.  Even though I am interested in something doesn't mean that some people are ready to think outside their comfort zone.  It was rather humbling.  Maybe I needed a little humbling.  I guess I'm going to have to rethink how I teach them.  Which will be hard for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment