Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Pat had me for dinner last evening.  Squig had a wonderful time chasing the chickens.  But oddly enough, he ignored the horses, even when they came up in the yard and were eating peppermints out of my hand.  Maybe because the chickens were small and the horses were large.

I gave Amy her Bible-verse booklet that I have been writing for the last four months.  Her birthday is this week.  I think she was pleased.  I hope she reads it.  I'm sure she will.  She asked why I did this for her and not for anyone else.  I told her,  "Because I love you."

When my grandson Steven was six or seven, he told me that he had finally figured out who my favorite grandchild was.  "It's the one who is sitting on your lap."  That's probably true.

Special things we choose to give to people mean a lot.  I never subscribed to the notion of treating every one alike.  I think it is better to do a unique thing for each person you love.  I also never liked giving Christmas presents very much.  I know, I know, that makes me a Scrooge.  But I prefer to give a gift when I find it.  When I find something special for someone--whatever day that happens to be.  At a time when it isn't expected or required.

The greatest gift that was ever given was God's only Son. "Hereby we perceive the love of God, because he laid down his life for us..." 1 John 3:16

And likewise,  in John 15:13,  "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Our military are willing to do this every day.  They sign up knowing that it may cost them their life.

The draft is random, and we haven't had a draft since Viet Nam.  But the people in our military right now have chosen to serve.  And risk their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment