Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My friend Becky Bacon came from Pryor to stay with me for three days.  Heaven.  I have so many wonderful friends, but only two or three that I don't have to clean the kitchen or pick up around the house for.  She comes in, takes her stuff to the guest bedroom--she knows where that is--and off we go.  To somewhere.  Whatever.  Wherever.  It is so much fun.

Her husband Joe was also good friends with Ken.  They were both pilots in Viet Nam.  Joe was flying the C-47 (DC-3) dropping leaflets over North Viet Nam assuring the people of "Safe Passage."  Ken was flying A-4's and F-8's dropping a different type of "message."  

Joe is the greatest romantic in the world.  Ken was the opposite--a stoic kind of guy.  They got along famously, telling stories into the night while Becky and I listened.  They didn't meet until 27 years after Viet Nam when Joe and Becky moved to Pryor (another story that is fascinating) and Becky and I became friends.

Joe is the official Wiley Post every year, white eye patch (white--really) and all.  He flies into the grass strip on the ranch where Will Rogers was born--for a public history event.  Wiley was Will Roger's pilot who came up with the idea of a G-suit so that he could fly higher on less oxygen.  Joe is a natural born Wiley.  And a natural born ham as well.

I'm going to Guthrie, Oklahoma with them when Guthrie has their annual celebration of the Land Rush (89ers day).  Guthrie used to be the capital of Oklahoma until someone stole the State Seal, and took it to Oklahoma City--which has been the capital ever since.  Guthrie wasn't happy, but it was the Wild West back then.  You could steal about anything you wanted and get away with it.  Maybe I will dress up like and be Belle Starr (a famous female outlaw.)  Everyone dresses up and pretends they were in the Oklahoma Land Rush.  It happens in April so it won't be too hot.

Anyway, it has been a fun few days with Becky here.  Joe grew up in India, and Becky naturally had to learn to like India's foods.  So yesterday she and I went into the city and had India cuisine at a buffet.  I had never done that before, so it was interesting.  I tried it all.  Some of it I liked.  Some of it I didn't.  But the company was excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment